Are you ready for the platform season? I am excited for the temperatures to drop, the snow to start flying and for the platform courts to heat up. If you haven't tried platform yet, now is the time! It is the perfect outdoor activity to chase away cabin fever, get some exercise and have fun with friends. The heated decks prevent ice or snow from accumulating in the winter, the lights keep the courts open day or night and the platform hut offers a great place to relax afterwards. I am able to offer more lessons this winter, so please reach out to me to get started today!
Door code to open hut door- press 13579, just a reminder it is all the odd numbers. If you mess the code up or it didn’t open after you pressed the final number, just give it a minute to reset. Retrying the code right away will not work on the lock system.
Proper care of the courts- if the platform courts are covered in snow, the player must shovel the snow off the courts. Shovels are stored in the platform hut’s utility closet near the desk. The lower panels on the courts open up for you to easily shovel the snow off the court. If there is a panel locked, it is because we do not want to shovel snow through that panel (Example- the panels near the stairs and towards the deck). Try to shovel the snow out towards the parking lot. Once the snow is shoveled off, turn the heaters on from the inside switches and allow the heaters to help melt the remaining ice/snow that is on the surface of the courts. If the courts are dry then there is no need to turn the heaters on. The heaters are not meant to keep you warm, they are there to dry the playing surface. The heaters are also not strong enough to melt inches of snow away. Just always remember to shovel first. If you find there to be an issue with a heater, please contact myself or Tim Ward.
Platform tennis equipment- Sleeves of Viking and Wilson balls will be for sale in the front office. Extra paddles and old balls are available down in the hut for members to use. If you are looking for a new paddle, please contact me.
Court Booking- New this season, we will be trying an online app for members to check the platform court availability and to be able to book a court from anywhere. The app is called Kourts. I will be launching the system the first week of November. Kourts will also be a great tool for the tennis/pickleball season too. Download the Kourts app (Light blue with the outline of a white tennis ball) and then search for Gull Lake Country Club.
Guest Policy- Guests are welcome to join members to play this great game. If you bring a guest, you are responsible for paying a $10 guest fee. This is an honor system and it is up to the member to let myself or Hannah know if you bring a guest to the courts.
Platform Schedule for November/December 2018
· Adult Platform Lessons- Come out and give platform a try! This will be a fun drill to learn how to play the game. Come dressed in layers and get ready to sweat. The drill will be set at a fast pace while learning to correct form and strategy of the game. After the drill, I highly encourage all players to stay and play a set. Please RSVP to me if you plan to attend the drill. These will be $15/class.
· Tuesday from 12:00pm- 1:00pm- Open Mixed Drill running November 6, 13, 20, 27 and December 4, 11 & 18.
· Thursdays from 12:00pm- 1:00pm- Open Mixed Drill running November 1, 8, 15, 29 and December 6, 13, & 20.
· Thursdays from 6:00pm- 7:00pm- Beginner Drill/Family Drill- Juniors 6th grade and up can attend drill with their parent. Running November 1, 8, 15, 29 and December 6, 13 & 20.
· Thursdays from 7:00pm- 8:00pm- Intermediate/Advanced Drill running November 1, 8, 15, 29 and December 6, 13 & 20.
· Fridays from 12:00pm- 1:00pm- Open Mixed Drill running November 2, 9, 16, 30 and December 7, 14 & 21.
· Friday Night Adult Mixers- join us under the lights for a fun night of mixed doubles. I will set up who plays each round, while players who are waiting enjoy food and drinks in the warm platform hut. Feel free to sign up by yourself, bring your spouse or invite a guest to join!
· Starts at 6:30, $19/ member- includes dinner and drinks
· Friday, November 2
· Friday, November 30
· Friday, December 14
· Adult Platform Leagues- Please let Kelly know if you are interested in a weekly league. Daytime and Evening League options to allow all members to play.
· Junior Platform Lessons- Afterschool lessons will run through March. Feel free to drop your kids off early or pick them up a little after class. Most kids really enjoy hanging out in the platform hut and drinking their hot chocolate after class is over. $15 per child for 1 hour class. $8 for half hour class. Dress your child in layers or pack along extra clothes in case they start to get cold. Contact me to see the Junior schedule. Classes run Tuesdays- Fridays.
· Create your own small private group to fit the time that works best for your schedule. Contact myself to get something set up!
See you all on court!!